Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Do you really know how much the Swedes rock?

Hello folks!  No...not much has been going on with me since my last post I am here today to tell you about a certain video that has probably graced your social media feed at least once.  Now within my family my mom raised 2 pretty avid cyclists...one has even done 112 miles on a bike 3 times, so there I bragged, cause its pretty dang awesome, no one else I know has done it...so he's pretty revolutionary.  The other, also an avid cyclist has like 6 bikes that are built and probably enough parts to build a 7th.  And then there is me...I own a TREK bike that for awhile was my only mode of transportation to get wherever I wanted to go.  We all own cycling shorts, a variety of helmets, they have their clip on shoes, tires, we are all obsessed with these Honey Waffles that Lance Armstrong endorses, along with Powerade, CLIF bars, and we all have our specific socks.  However, I have always endorsed helmet use because who would want to crash without a helmet and lose brain function?  Not I or anyone else I know, that's for sure. But let me get to the point of this post.  The video explains it all...with closed captioning of course it tells the story of these two women who have started an invisible helmet revolution, because just believe it...bikes will one day replace cars as a source of transportation.  To me its basically an airbag for your head.  It looks like the top of a puffer vest, and it clips around your neck and must have some source of an electronic sensor in it that releases an "airbag" of sorts around your head when it senses impact.  It encompasses your entire face.  All lobes of the brain, and it looks like a motorcycle helmet when it releases.  Overall, I am very proud of the Swedish.  Could someone in the U.S. endorse this and get it stateside to begin testing?  Now, I still don't believe it is a good alternative to a helmet, I know sometimes a helmet can be uncomfortable, but that means it probably is not fitting correctly.  So you can easily get that fixed by a professional at a local store.  They are all avid cyclists so they know what they are talking about and what they are doing.  However, I would not be surprised to see this in the states in a few years, or for some American genius to come up with a replica.  Now the price isn't the greatest (its $535), but for the technology it houses, it might be worth the splurge.  I don't know, but the only way you'll get it is making a trip across the pond to Sweden, so start using your airplane miles now. 

Here is the video to watch it...I will post the link and see if it shows up...I have never posted a video to my blog, so it may take a minute or two.
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/swedes-develop-invisible-bike-helmet-184635653.html

And that is why the Swedes rock, GET MOVING PEOPLE!
--H :)

P.S. During this month of Thanksgiving what are you thankful for?  Comment and you'll be part of my next blog...which will be most likely be some sort of health blog about how since coming to college, eating habits totally change.  And what's your favorite Thanksgiving food?  COMMENT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment